FEATURED POST

Hair Nymphs

Monday, February 5, 2024

FLY FISHING SHOW ATL, Part 2 - ALLEN RUPP

    If you have never been to a fly fishing show, imagine a large auditorium room filled with tables, displays, booths, and retired, gray-beard geezers. Mixed in are casual-dress executive types, hot-to-trot Fly Bro's ready to lay claim to The Next Big Thing, and a few long-suffering wives and girlfriends.

    Every kind of fly fishing gadget is there, too, from fly rods and reels, to boats, accessories, tying materials, clothing...with someone eager to sell you all of it!
Seriously, if you can think of it - and even if you've NEVER thought of it - you will find it there for a price.


    There's all the usual attractions, too: bright lights and a carnival midway atmosphere, tables groaning with free stickers and pens, and pretty show-babes to make you feel young again... and loosen your wallet.

    But my favorite part of the whole shindig is, "Fly Tyers Row."
This is a line of tables that stretches 50 yards along one wall. There you'll find numerous celebrity fly tyers - some quite famous in 
fly-tying circles, some up and coming - and all busy promoting their craft.

    Each one is a skilled master, true to the arcane fly-tying arts, and they are all there waiting to meet you.
You can chat with them, observe them as they work, gush adoringly over their handicrafts and just generally hobnob with people at the top of their game.



Allen Rupp 

    I normally set as my goal to learn one new fly pattern or tying technique from these Viziers of the Vise... while acting like I understand what they're doing.
    To this end, I was fortunate enough to meet Mr. Allen Rupp, the man behind
Fly On The Water/Bespoke Flies. I've been friends with Allen on Facebook for awhile, so it was nice to meet him in the flesh. His slogan is, “Quality Hand Tied Flies For The Discerning Angler.”
    And indeed, he puts great effort into crafting the finest flies money can buy.
    The pattern he was gracious enough to tutor me on is Dave Whitlock's, “Near Nuff Crayfish.”




"Near Nuff Crayfish"
photo credit © Richard Allen Rupp

    We'd be remiss here if we didn't mention Dave Whitlock. I've met and talked with him at length, and there was no more kind and affable man on this earth. Mr. Whitlock was also a fly fishing guru, to say the least – if there was a Mount Rushmore of Fly Fishing, he would be on it.
    But as he got older, he wanted someone to carry on his patterns, and Allen Rupp got the nod. Mr. Whitlock is passed on now, I'm sorry to say, but Allen was the right choice for the job.

    He is very meticulous, he is extremely dedicated, he spares no expense in materials and craftsmanship, and the end result is proof of the pudding. If I got nothing else from him this day, I was firmly re-invigorated with the sense of craftsmanship one must bring to fly tying.

    This experience with the 'Near Nuff Crayfish' comes at a timely moment, too, as there are a lot of these crusty crustaceans in my local waters. So, I am putting into practice what Allen taught me, and tying a few for the upcoming season. As is my usual habit, I'll share the results here, with a few tidbits about its construction.
    But Allen also offers specific classes to teach this pattern, along with another Whitlock creation, “The Near Nuff Sculpin,” so don't expect me to give away all his secrets!

    Now, you may be tempted to find information about tying Whitlock's, ''Near Nuff Crayfish" on the Internet.
I can't lie - I did.
    But from what I've seen, much of the detail and nuance Allen offers is not found elsewhere. 
Really, the 45 minutes Allen generously devoted to teaching a hack like me is time I will treasure, and I thank him sincerely for the lessons learned.

    He also sells these things if you want one from the maestro himself; his website and Etsy page are seen below in the foto.
Check in on his blog, and be in awe of the many fine patterns he ties - and the sheer professionalism of his efforts.

    Again, thanks so much, Allen. Keep up the great work!





===== <> =====

Writers should always strive for a job well done... even half-baked ones like me. So if you found value in this article, please like, comment, and share it. 

Do you have questions, compliments, or suggestions?
If so, email me at
...dahutist@gmail.com

If you appreciate a no-drama, no-hype Facebook group, follow this link and come join us at: 

Palmetto Fly n Fish

Thanks so much for reading, and...


Tight Lines,

David Hutton

© All rights reserved, David Hutton/Palmetto Fly N Fish 2024 











No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated