FEATURED POST

Hair Nymphs

Monday, January 3, 2022

Automatic Fly Reel Neatness

I found an automatic fly reel in the stash, today. I was looking for a spincast reel for one of the rods my grandkids use, and while rooting through the box, the fly reel popped up.

I've always loved these things, and they bring back memories of my dad. The thing is, I honestly cannot recall where I got it.

I suspect eBay. But when you can’t remember - well, it’s a blur.




If you're unfamiliar with this type reel, it'll actually feel pretty normal to you once you have the mental picture of operation.
The reel has a spool like any other, but with a large clock spring affixed to one side. As you pull out line for casting, the spring is put under tension - "wound up," you might say.
Then, when you want to retrieve line, either with a fish on or just to reload the spool, you pull the attached lever.

This releases the ratchet lock, the spool turns as the spring unwinds - and the line is thus pulled back in.

These automatic reels originated in the 1880's and became popular right away. 
Herman W. Martin, a jeweler from Ilion, NY, was really the one that put them on the map, around 1890. 

In time, they were made by most of the tackle makers of the day. This one says, “Kmart 55” on it, but it could just as easily carry a marquee from Shakespeare, Pflueger, South Bend, Martin, or others.

With so many outfits making them, this reel style was literally the standard for years and everyone sold them. My dad had several, so it reminds me of him. 

The truth is, most people who could afford such a thing had at least one, back in the day. This example, well, my guess is it comes from the 1970’s, and happily, it still works.

When I got it out and looked closely at it, I saw there's a plastic leader connecting thingie on it.
I've seen some of the other connector types, but never one like this. It's not the sort of gadget I normally go for; I use a loop link, like a Cliffs Loop (1), a Nail Knot(2), or the  Russell Peak Loop (3). 

But it is of some interest, so 
I’m gonna at least check it out and maybe try it. First I have to get it apart, which isn't all that easy.
Maybe some kind of tool is needed, maybe they are not intended but for a one time use.
Sometimes, you just have to figure things out.

The one thing that is missing from this reel is the button on the end of the retrieve lever. For the time being, I’ve put a zip tie on it just for a tactile, “finger target." 
The reel sits under the rod, so your finger needs something to get hold of when you want to retrieve line.

But, I’m thinking that a pearl button of some kind could be fitted... that would be nice. Think of the pearl buttons on a cowboy shirt -- that kinda thing. Like I said, sometimes you just gotta figure it out.

So, that's my Kmart auto reel, the one and only that I have.
I'm not even sure I will use the thing; I probably won't.
But, if nothing else, it's interesting.

For the knots mentioned, check out these links:

(1) Cliff's Loop

(2) Nail Knot

(3) Russell Peak Loop

Thanks for reading, 

Tight Lines


David

Feedback? Opinions? Feell free to comment, and come visit us at: Palmetto Fly n Fish

©
all rights reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated