FEATURED POST

Hair Nymphs

Saturday, November 20, 2021

Southern Appalachian Royal Wulff

This was my first deliberate attempt at a, "Royal," fly.

In this case, I've done what I call a "Royal Southern Appalachian Wulff."
Southern Appalachian stream flies, i.e., flies specific to the streams of the S. Appalachian region of the US, are fairly uncommon. Trying to research them is nearly an exercise in futility.
Probably, the best known is the "Tellico Nymph." A few have heard of the "Yellowhammer," and perhaps true fly-geeks know the, "Thunderhead."
But one thing seems to be a defining feature with flies from the region: the color yellow.
I don't know why yellow came to be prominent in the area, but the two are intertwined.
Here I've done a bucktail wing Wulff-style fly that has that vivid yellow look.
Its kinda scruffy, but I'm no pro. It'll do for a first attempt.

Thanks for looking Tight Lines David Palmetto Fly n Fish © all rights reserved 2021


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated