FEATURED POST

Hair Nymphs

Saturday, April 4, 2020

The Pond That Wasn't


I recently spotted a pond at one of our local middle schools. Its just a shallow, postage stamp of a thing, more hope than actual promise.
But, I went there this morning to see if there might be any fish in it.

Fishing Log Entry: April 4, 2020
Temperature – 63 degrees F
Conditions – calm (wind, less than 5 mph), high overcast
Rh – 39%
BOW – micro-pond
Session length – 45 min

Tackle:
Redington, “Crosswater,” 9' 5 wt, FWF line
Redington “Crosswater,” composite reel
Tapered leader
My secret tippet ring alternative, with mono tippet

Flies:
Popper
“Screaming Banshee”
“Palmetto Hangman” combo

Results:
Fish caught - 0
Species - 0
Largest – N/A
Smallest – N/A

Notes:
- It was a good morning to practice a little social distancing... and to take a break from cutting bushes and doing yardwork. That gets a little tiresome day after day.

- I'm not really a tackle junkie, but people like that sort of thing, so I mention of the gear I brought with me.
I can say the Redington “Crosswater,” is a pretty good rod.
I got it used from Mark Fishburn, Jr., who took very good care of it.
Now I normally like a slim rod, and the Crosswater is a little bit chunky.
But this has the advantage of backbone – it can toss hairy, large flies with relative ease.
Its a good compromise.

- I forgot my neck lanyard when I left the house, which means I had no nippers, no forceps, and no tippet. Its not like I needed the forceps, what with catching no fish... but tippet is pretty much a must. Fortunately, I was within a few miles of home and it was a quick trip to get it.

- The pond itself was covered with weeds choking the surface - maybe only half the pond was open in patches
No fish activity was seen at all, although I saw a few dimples that I attribute to insect activity, or maybe minnows.
This trip was all about casting practice...wrist straight, stop rod at 2 o'clock and finish like flicking paint from a brush.


FLIES
  • Orange and Purple Flip Flop Popper
  • Charlie Craven “Screaming Banshee”
  • “Palmetto Hangman” combo – a floating fly I'm experimenting with, designed expressly for suspending a dropper. In this case its got a #18 Filter Fly



I had hopes that this might be my new fly testing site.
It would be ideal, if not for two things:


1. The weeds
2. No fish



The search goes on for Fly Lab III

Thanks and Tight Lines

David

Dont forget to comment and subscribe... and visit us at Palmetto Fly N Fish

All rights reserved, © 2020

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated