FEATURED POST

Hair Nymphs

Sunday, February 3, 2019

Sharing My SECRET

Location "X" Walkabout

Feb 3, 2019

NOTE: Everything you see here will be under 8-12 feet of water by summer. Keep that in mind as you follow along.
I did some more photologging and note taking, today, at location "X," while the water is still low from the drawdown. I also made a few more discoveries.

I went with the intent of adding some numbered markers to a couple of the select "hotspots" I previously uncovered.
And I did just that. And they look alright.
But I decided I like using old plastic bottles and beer cans, better. 

Why use trash as markers?
Because, a brightly colored marker, with a number, is an obvious sign of "something." 

It says to people,

"Stop here. Look around. Someone put me here for a reason...." 


Quite often, in fact, they will take remove such a marker, out of spite. They don't know why its there, so they rip it down.
People sometimes suck.

But any of a zillion cast-off beverage containers, well... they are essentially unseen by the angling horde. I mean, who notices yet another bit of trash? They are the perfect marker.

However, there is a "secret" to these markers: I affix them vertically.
Cans and bottles, well, they float, or lay, on their side by nature.
But, if you know what you're looking for, a vertical Mountain Dew can sticks out among all the other horizontal eye clutter.
If you're NOT looking for it, on the other hand, its just another bit of flotsam.



When the water returns - these will be unseen except from the water.
The markers in the tree will probably be moved a little lower, though.


Discoveries
The channel is flanked by breaklines on either side, which rise to wide flats on the west side, and relatively steep banks on the eastern side. But on close examination, I found several areas where these breaklines switch to hard edge jumps - call them miniature cliff faces, 3-4 feet high.



Sloping breaklines in foreground, sharp edged in rear. This flat runs for about 300 yards.
It is also sandy in a number of places; I expect it will be a bedding site.





Deep running cut, leading to a flooded back bay



A "break," or anomaly, along one of the sharp edged breaklines. 
Will it hold fish along their migrations?

I also got a closer look at the bar at the upper end, where the channel turns 90 degrees to the west. It has a large pool behind it, separated from the main channel by a saddle. This pool has a couple feet of water in it, now - it will be 8-12 feet deep when the water comes back up.



Creek channel sweeps to the left, saddle bar in middle, and deep pool w/submerged tree Can we get some water covering this, please?


UPCOMING
Next week, I'll do a general trash clean-up around the area. I'll bring my 7 year old grandson, Jeremy, and maybe have a casting lesson or two.
God knows, I can use all the help I can get.

I also found some good advice under the bridge... a rather odd place to find such a thing, I suppose. But good advice is where you find it.




Thanks for looking, and Tight Lines, 
David

subscribe, comment and visit us at Palmetto Fly n Fish: HERE
Palmetto Fly N Fish © 2018 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated