FEATURED POST

Hair Nymphs

Sunday, January 27, 2019

Where To Find The Fish

I took a walk along the shore at one of my favorite fishing locations, today, not far from home. I've been documenting many low water observations while the water at Lake Murray is in draw-down. And I'm grateful for your forbearance through it all.

I've been fishing this site, "Location X," since I moved to the region 6 years ago. And I've caught a lot of fish from here. But now... oh man,... now I've got a lot of good pics and will have walked a bottom that will be under 4-10 feet of water by summer.
Not only will I have real insight into the structure along this section. but I'm also adding inconspicuous markers along key points. I won't go into too much detail... but, let me say there will be cataloging, and graphic mapping......

This place is not a "secret," by the way. In fact, its pretty popular.
It's on the waterway's Navionics maps, and anyone can get here. But these maps lack what I call "fishable details".
They have virtually none, in fact. They are general aids, only.
And in all the time I've fished here, I cant recall seeing anyone fishing the structures I now see revealed.

Now, I'm not the only person to think of using this period to have a look. Judging by the small number of footprints in the mud, there have been a handful.
But, I'm betting there may be no one that is deep diving the detail I'm trying to capture.
For example, I found two key structures that lead from the deepest water in the area back into wooded cuts. But these don't go straight and it won't be obvious, later, just how they run.
But I will know.
And I'll have maps, photos, markers and a trail of bread crumbs.

NOTE: ALL AREAS SHOWN WILL SOON BE HIDDEN UNDER WATER FOR ANOTHER 6-8 YEARS!



The cut to the right leads back to a shallow feeding area. There is a long narrow feeder channel leading to it - but it meanders and wont be seen one the water is back up.


 

Rocks and sand bar




Point extending out from shore


 
Tree indicates the end of the point!




Deep creek channel and tight sharp turn - soon covered up.


Many people are howling in frustration over the 10 foot drop in the lake level. Some are going elsewhere. Others refuse to fish here again.
But I see an opportunity that may not come again, soon. And I'm grabbing it while its here.


"Knowledge Is The Key To Fishing Success"


- Elwood Perry

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated