FEATURED POST

Hair Nymphs

Sunday, May 6, 2018

Cheap Sunglasses

David Hutton, PFnF©

May 5, 2018

Recently, I ran a poll on this blogs’ Facebook page, “Palmetto Fly n Fish,” about sunglasses; it went well and I thank everyone that responded. 

The purpose of the poll was to get responses about price, mostly.
It started me thinking - “Just what is important about sunglasses for fishing?”
More importantly, “What can I get with cheap sunglasses? And just what is cheap?”

To answer these questions, I waded through 33 pages of research.
I learned a lot, and I'll share what I discovered about sunglasses, themselves.
Then, I will reveal what my current set-up is. 

Ready? Let's get into it.

The Need
As a fisherman, you need 3 main things from a pair of sunglasses...

- You want to be able to see into the water to examine structure and cover, and tell if there are fish nearby – call it enhanced visibility. This is where polarized lenses come into play.

- You want to be protected against eye strain, and the effects of UV rays caused by sunlight and glare from the water.

- You want sunglasses that don't fall apart after a few days, and which don't get scratched up if you touch them. This means some measure of durability and engineering should be built in.

UV Stuff
At this juncture, something should be said about UV protection and relief from eye strain. 

We spend a lot of time outdoors, on the water, as anglers. The sun hits us from above AND below, thanks to the glare of the sun reflected off the water. 
This double whammy can actually do physical damage to your eyes if they’re not properly protected. 
It is also drains and saps your energy after just a short time. 

It would be best if you cocooned yourself in a spacesuit for protection, but that isn't practical.
I mean, spacesuits are cool, and you'd be the only one on the lake wearing one. 
But, adjusted for inflation, A NASA spacesuit costs around 150 MILLION dollars.
For most of us thats gonna be a show stopper, even if we COULD get our hands on a suit. 

Since spacesuits are out, sunglasses are a no-brainer. 
But, which sunglasses are the right ones? 
What should we know about them and their technology, so as to make informed decisions?
Finally, how much should we spend on them?

The Future Is Now
Fortunately, fishing sunglasses have come a long way in just a few decades. 
The old Ray-Bans your dad wore were pretty much the only game in town back in the day. They are still around, but they are joined by a legion of sunglasses that are lightweight, stylish, hi-tech, available everywhere, and best of all – affordable.

That word, though... “affordable.”

It means different things to different people, and I'm not wrong to say today's sunglasses run the gamut from ridiculously expensive, to ridiculously cheap. 
And to 
be blunt about it, a lot of sunglasses are crazy expensive. 
On the other hand, some of these high-end products are worth the cost, depending on your circumstances.
Knowing which, however, is left up to you. 

 
We also enter the territory of fierce brand loyalty with that. Facebook posts run for weeks with people naming THEIR pet brand....

"Buy these!"
"I have this brand and love em!"
"If you're smart, you'll get these at any price!"

And still, you learn very little.
I don't want to open that can of worms, here.

For The Rest Of Us
But, what if you can’t hang on to a pair of glasses? 
Every time you lean over the boat, they fall in. 
Or you sit on them the first day, your dog chews them up, or you leave them on the quick-stop counter on the way to the lake. 
Many people say that the sure way to lose a pair of sunglasses is to spend a lot of money on them. 
If this is you, spending hundreds of dollars on sunglasses seems unwise.

Or, more to the point of this post, what if you're the kind of person who doesn't care about trendy names, or being a big spender?
You just want adequate protection and utility, and you expect the market to provide that without risking your mortgage.
Well, you're in luck. There is a middle ground that offers eyewear with the features we need, at moderate prices.

But first, lets look at the the lens, itself.

The Three Lenses
Sunglasses have one main objective: to hold protective lenses in front of your eyes and do it firmly without breaking. 
But the lenses are the star of the show.

You may have noticed there is a wide variety of lens options on the market. 
Colors, shapes, sizes... So many. 
But why? 

Some of it is marketing, or course. But each lens type performs best under specific light and environmental conditions.
With that in mind, lets take a brief look at the options in order to decide which lenses we might need.

Offshore, or wide open waters
If you spend most of your time on the water fishing offshore, maybe on large reservoirs, or surf-casting into open ocean, consider a dark gray base lens with a blue mirror. 
Blue lenses offer optimum saltwater visibility, and a heavy mirror helps combat open water glare. This combination offsets the high intensity light found in these venues. 

Stream, Lake, or Pond fishing
This is the time for a lighter base lens, with a green/green-blue mirror. 

A lighter hued lens will allow for higher contrast when light intensity isn’t so high. And the green-blue mirrored lens finish is a good compromise in reflectivity.

Lower Light Conditions
Believe it or not, overcast conditions can reflect UV light and glare, and punish your eyes, too.
And a lot of good fishing is done in 
early morning and evening, 
For these times, amber, copper or rose lenses are all good choices for enhancing visibility and reducing glare while freshwater fishing in these conditions.

So there we have the three main lens types we should look for. 

That now leaves us with the question, “What about the cost? J
ust how cheap can you go, and still get something useful?”

Two Sawbucks and a Neck Strap
Well, the simple answer is...drumroll please...

$20.

To be fair, $25-$30 is probably a better bottom end. 
But 20 bucks will still get you glare reduction, fish-spotting capabilities, some durability, and comfort.

I'm just going to put that there for you to look at.

And that's where I'm going to leave it. 


I have already captured enough of you time, so I won't try to name every pair of sunglasses you can find across the possible price range. 
You can get THAT from any Facebook post on the subject.
Besides, you can find the same information I did by searching the internet with phrases like, ”low cost fishing sunglasses, cheap fishing sunglasses, bargain fishing sunglasses, etc.”

My Sunglass Setup
Since I can't cover every budget-priced pair of sunglasses out there, I'll do as promised and tell you what I'm using. 

My current eye wear are Mike Iaconelli, “Ike's,” from Renegade Sunglasses. 
These are named for, and promoted by, Elite Series Bassmaster champion, Mike Iaconelli.
They are sold in big-box stores like Walmart, and online tackle outlets such as Tackle Warehouse. 

Mine are blue/green mirror, with a grey-amber lens, from Walmart.
They came with a clear plastic case - which I still have, by the way,
I also grabbed a neoprene neck strap with them, for a total cost of about $25.


These are not big-name Costa del Sol's, or Smith's; make no mistake about that. 
But, remember...the goal here was to run a pair of low-cost glasses, and see how things work out.

Plus, I purchased these out of pocket.
I don't have big-name eye wear makers knocking on my door to review their products.
can't afford to buy them for a few years of testing, either. 
So cheap is where it's at.

PS All you 
big-name eye wear makers...if you like this article and WANT me to test your products, hit me up!

STYLE
The first thing sunglass people seem to mention is style - their stuff is always "stylish." 
Now, I don't know how much style matters for fishing, but we we live in an age where "personal style" is pretty much an obsession. 
With that in mind, the “Ike” glasses are stylish enough that I look pretty cool in 'em... for an old, fat guy
I dunno, but I think that counts for something.

GLARE and POLARIZATION
They cut glare pretty well, and I'll say more about that at the end.
The polarization is there and working. 

Working pretty well, actually. 

I know this because I have to turn my cellphone 90 degrees to see the screen in sunlight. 

See, polarized lenses absorb horizontal light waves, while allowing vertical waves to pass through. This means the particular kind of oriented light that causes glare gets blocked.
You've probably noticed this effect with your own cellphone, or when looking through your cars' windows when wearing polarized lenses. 
That's the polarization at work.

UV PROTECTION
As for UV protection, my "Ike" sunglasses deliver 100% UVA & UVB protection.
It says so right on the label.
I can't tell one way or another, though, so I have to take Renegade at their word.

VISION
I can say they are lightweight and comfortable, and I can see quite clearly when wearing them. 
I guess this is because they, “...regulate light transmittance and amplify color for a crisp optical experience.”
Again, they said it – not me.
Bottom line, I see very well when wearing them. 
That's a good thing.

DURABILITY
I am on my fifth or sixth season with these Ike's…. I have lost count.
But, let's be clear (pun intended) - I treat 'em with kid gloves and I don't torture test them. 
I'm not going to drag them behind my truck, have a bear stomp on them, or, worse, let my dog get at them.
  • I keep them in a case when not worn
  • I only wear them fishing
  • I use micro-fiber lens cloths for cleaning
  • They stay on my head or on a neck lanyard when they are out of the case.
If these were $200 jobs, I could probably take 'em to my grave with that kind of treatment.

SUMMARY
So, how are my $25 sunglasses working out? 
In short: so far, so good.

When I take them off after several hours, the glare and brightness makes me reel back and exclaim, “Whoa! These things work darned good..." 
And back on my head they go. 
They're sleek and form fitting, and I forget I'm wearing them. When I remove them, I cant wait to put them back on. 
That says a lot to me.  

Is that an endorsement? 
Kinda, sorta, I guess.
Renegade isn't paying me to say that - they don't even know I exist. 

And to be frank, I'd probably get the same reaction from a $200 pair. 
But it DOES suggest what you can get for the money.

And for $25, all in, I can't complain.

If I got 5 or 6 seasons from them, replace 'em, and do it again, well, I could go 35 years on the same $200 I'd dump into one pair of Costa del Sol's.

And if I drop these over the side, I won't be nearly as pissed off about it.

----------<~~>----------

Writers should always strive for a job well done... even half-baked ones like me. So if you found value in this article, please like, comment, and share it. 

Do you have questions, compliments, or suggestions?
If so, email me at
...dahutist@gmail.com

If you appreciate a no-drama, no-hype Facebook group, follow this link and come join us at: 

Palmetto Fly n Fish

Thanks so much for reading, and...


Tight Lines,

Dave Hutton

© All rights reserved, David Hutton/Palmetto Fly N Fish 2018/2023 






No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated