FEATURED POST

Hair Nymphs

Friday, May 10, 2019

Barrons Outfitters, Columbia, SC


BARRONS OUTFITTERS, Columbia, SC

I Stopped, At Last.




Recently one of our members, Nick Vidal, was asking if there were any local, "mom and pop" fly fishing shops. Nick moved here from California and wants to support a local shop - atta boy, Nick! 

Now, South Carolina isn't widely known as a fly fishing "hot zone," and I can honestly say I did not know about Barrons. I have driven past it a hundred times, but it never really registered. So, I was pleased when some of our members mentioned it. 
Little did I know.
I made the mental promise to stop in on my travels, and as luck would have it, work took me downtown today and I went in.
Barron's Outfitters was founded in 1947 by Charlie Barron, to meet the hunting and fishing needs of South Carolina's midlandsCompared to anything I've ever seen in the way of fly shops (which is mostly nothing), the Barrons of today can rightly be called a fishing, hunting, and fly fishing Mecca.

Jake Howard was on the floor when I came in, and he showed me just about anything you might need, or want, in the way of fly fishing gear.

Now, lets get this clear right away - Barrons is a retail outlet, so prices reflect that. These people are running a brick and mortar business. Its not Cheap-China Stuff.com.... But, they also know their market. I was throwing around the idea that most of our members are regular people buying $150 fly rod’s, and Jake was on top of that. If that's what you want, he can fix you up.

Jake himself is a local guide and member of the South East Fly Fishers League. He's not some clueless clerk that can't tell a tippet from a peach pit.
He knows what he's doing.

The store has a very wide, brand-name selection of fly gear. Simms, Loon, Umpqua, Hareline, Peak vises... all the premier brands are here. This is walking into a fly-fishing catalog store, people.
With guns AND ammo.

Hell, yes.
But, Barrons is also kind of country southern, mixed with urban cool. You can sense the old-school traditional, plus the younger guys' influence. Jake has his own guide service, and "runs" in the Southeastern fly fishing tournament circuit. He has an earnest, energetic vibe.

Now, personally, I'd like to see a potbellied stove at Barrons, and some old timer smoking a pipe. But if a big-box store and grandpas sporting goods shop had a baby - this would be it.... without acres of spandex pants, over-engineered water bottles and stupid golf crap.

So if you're in the Columbia area, or live here already, come check out a nice fly shop and meet some cool dudes. Go to Barrons at 1725 Harden Street.
Tell Jake I said, "Hi!" and buy something.
He'll treat you right.

PS I also wanted to throw in a mention of the striper tournament Barrons and Jakes, "Saluda Valley Guide Service" run in July. Check in with em and follow the action.

CONTACT INFO:

Barrons Outfitters, Inc.
1725 Harden Street
Columbia, SC 29204-1013
(803) 254-5537
Fax (803)254-9032

Links:

http://barronsoutfitters.com/

Barrons Outfitters on Facebook


Jake Howard at Saluda Valley Guides

PICTURES



Here's what people are tying on right now. Jake keeps this up to date as the seasons change 






An honest-to-God oak fly cabinet!
(Hey, I'm easily impressed)




The Wall of Fly Tying Materials
Jake also rotates this stock to reflect the needs of the seasons


The Wader Room

Gotta-have stuff

Fly Line Central






Wading Boots in the Wader Room




I kinda lost track after a while... looks like tippet and such




A sideways look into one of the fly bins





Another look at the Wall of Fly Tying Materials 




Reels Im Afraid To Touch - Vises I can relate to 



I'm not even sure what this stuff is....





Nets and stuffy stuff





Jake Howard




Hooks and things


Thanks and Tight Lines,

David

Palmetto Fly N Fish, ©2019

Comment, Subscribe and visit us at: Palmetto Fly N Fish

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated