FEATURED POST

Hair Nymphs

Sunday, October 7, 2018

Quick Pond Walk

Quick Pond Walk

October 7, 2018

Today's fishing report is brought to you by the following flies...



(from right to left)

Fliedermaus

Fuzzy Nymph

Stayner Ducktail

#10 Wapsi Popper (not shown)

I visited the neighbors pond late in the day, just to see how things are getting along.
I'm pleased to say that today it was fish on from the beginning. Its always nice to say that.

It started with my little Wapsi Popper. 


GONE!

I had just tossed it out about 15 feet, while I was getting more line ready and, BAM! it got grabbed - and broke off.
That was a good little popper; I've had it a long time. 
Its been through several dressing changes, and now its stuck in a fishs's lip. I'll have to tie a new one.

From there on, most any fly got nailed if it was cast out. Its that time of year, of course.

Fly Notes

You'll note most of these flies have a tag of tippet still attached to the hook eye. That's my way of knowing if a fly has caught a fish. 

The Fliedermaus - this is a foam-and-deer hair fly from Harrison Steeves III. One of my faves, I'm coming to like it more and more. Is pretty tough and a good fish catcher. Unfortunately, you'll play hell finding any info on it through the interwebs.
A unique alternative to poppers, its like a winged slider.

Fuzzy Nymph - this was inspired by part 2 of, "The Bass Flies of A.J. McClane."
It's really nothing more than an oversized flymph, tied fat.
This is tied with pheasant, a yarn underbody and wool.
This fly here accounted for the biggest bass of the day, a 2 -pounder that tested my knot tying.

Stayner Ducktail - I've used white ice dubbing for the body of this fly, instead of chenille. It was taken by a bass, not 5 seconds after hitting the water. 

These subsurface takes were obvious, and tightened up the line right off. 
I didn't have to wonder if a fish was on or not. 
The surface strikes were more like attacks from below; several bass came clear out of the water on the swing around.

Now its off to repair a rip in my favorite pair of knock around pants. I can't let them go, easily, without trying to patch em up.

Thanks, and tight lines,

David

Palmetto Fly n Fish, ©2018

Comment, subscribe, and visit us at: Palmetto Fly N Fish

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated