FEATURED POST

Hair Nymphs

Thursday, June 21, 2018

Float Tube GO List



My Float Tube Go List

June 21, 2018 Update 2023

Have a look at that date up there - June 21.
    The first official day of calendar summer, give or take. Can there be a more 
auspicious day for the summer lover than that one? 
    Warm days, warm nights, and all the fun one can muster.    
It only seems appropriate to run a post about float tubes with all that in mind. 
    Why float tubes? Because I love them, that's why. And I love them all the more during the hot time of year. 
    In case you don't know what a float tube is, have a look at the picture below
. Basically a float tube is an inflatable easy chair for the water. You paddle it around with scuba fins, and you fish from it in cushy, hands-free comfort.
    Float tubes are just that special. They suit my style.


Whats up With Float Tubes?
    Well, first of all, they keep you cool. Your lower legs stay in the water, and are cooled by the water itself. Because you use scuba fins and your legs to propel the tube, the mild exertion inherent in this activity circulates cooled blood from your legs around the rest of your body. This helps to lower your overall temperature. And since I'm plump, I sit a couple inches lower than the skinny guys and gals.... and my thighs and derriere get a little EXTRA cooling. 

Net effect? Lowered body temperature. 
Just the ticket for the heat of summer.
Suddenly I don't feel quite so bad about all those Tuesday's down at Mario's Taco Emporium.

    There is also the warm and fuzzy feeling of closeness with the water, a sort of connected-ness you'll get with no other fishing style except spearfishing.
    It's a neat feeling to stand in the shallows, push back into the seat, and kick away from shore. You instantly become part of the water. You squirm a little, adjust your position, and get the seat back set just right. 
    Voila! You're a human cork, going after fish! 
    Kinda hard to describe, but try it and you'll get it...

The List
    Recently, someone asked what I take in my float tube when I go fishing in it. They see me in my inflatable easy chair, waving as I pass. But what's in there with me?
    For that, I was gonna need a list. Everyone likes lists, we're told. There's something magical about everything sorted and itemized, a stub of pencil in hand with which to make check marks...it's all so satisfying. 
    
    But I had yet to come up with a list. I was gonna have to get one together the hard way

    Soon enough, the next weekend rolled around, and I was planning for another fishing junket. As I thought about it, I said to myself, "You need to load up the evening before. You know you do....that way you won't rush around and forget anything in the morning."
    Good advice, but I didn't take it. I procrastinated.
The family came over for dinner, I had a few glasses of wine and,... well, you guessed it: I'm scrambling at 6AM, hoping I didn't forget anything. 

    Driving to the lake, between bites of toast and spilling coffee, it hit me:

"Why not get organized and just have a basic check-list to follow??"

    Maybe it was the hot coffee sloshing into my lap, or the toast, I don't know. But suddenly, I was inspired.

    The simplest way to get a list together was to inventory what I was toting around at the end of several tubing sessions. I figured that after 3 or 4 outings, experience would show what I use and what is important to have along.
It's not rocket science, I know, but I wanted a list and that was as good as way as any to get one.

    Here is the gear, laid out and stowed in the car...









    
    Once I had everything examined and sorted, I arranged the stuff into 3 groups of, "Ready Items," and 1 group of "Flexible Items."

    With that done, it is time to reveal my ...

The Float Tube Go List 

Ready Items

Group 1 
Float tube
Tube patches 
Spare float bladder valves
Suncreen lotion
Whistle
Signal Mirror
All are stowed in one of float tubes pockets, and stay with the tube

Group 2 
Fins, open heel
Scuba reef boots
Air pump - I have a 12vdc pump that runs off my vehicle. But I use a hand operated, dual action pump most of the time. During the season, my tube stays partially inflated- it only takes a few seconds to re-inflate it fully.   
Hat/headwear
Crushable Shoes - for walking when ashore
Spare sunglasses
Group 2 items are stowed a large luggage bag. I just take it out to the vehicle and put it in prior to leaving the house.
For much of the season it just stays there.

Group 3
Neck lanyard - spools of tippet, nippers, forceps

Fishing Vest 
Fishermans multi tool  
Leader weight: tungsten putty, and lead twist-on type 
Assorted leaders 
Fly wallet
Hook sharpener
Car keys 
Vivarin and Tylenol - A little pick me up comes in handy 
Sunglasses 
Toilet paper
Camera, in waterproof bag
Cell phone, in waterproof bag

These are on a hook next to the Group 2 bag. I just grab both on the way out. 

Group 4: The Variable Items

Water 
Snacks

- Rod - fly, spinning, or telescoping fixed pole
-  Reel - to match above
-  Line - spare line, depending on the outfit 
-  leaders/tippet - most of the time, my usual fly tippet line doubles as leader. But I carry a spool of slightly heavier 10-12 lb leader for spin fishing. 
-  flies, lures, bait, tackle - this can be almost anything, and is dependent mostly on the season.

    The rods are disassemlbed and strapped into Velcro holders on the float tube. They are not put together until I reach the waters edge.
    All the lures, tackle, snacks, water, and other items are stowed in the pockets of the tube before heading to the water.

If it won't fit so I can zip it closed, it doesn't come along. 

    The tube itself is carried like a back pack, using built in shoulder straps. E
verything is neatly and securely stowed on, or in, the tube. When I leave the car, I only have my fins in my hand and the tube on my back. 




    I don't use a fish finder on my tube, and I only take two rods. 
I think of this as minimalist fishing, where I rely on my wits for success. With me, relying on wits is always a dicey proposition, but I like to keep things simple. 
    Could I add more gear? Sure; some guys outfit their tubes with more gear than a B.A.S.S. masters tournament boat.

    But I want to be light on my feet, as it were, and not be tied down with a bunch of junk. I can get to the water, get set up, and shove off in about 3 minutes. And with only the essentials along, there is far less to worry about or go wrong.
    Besides, if I added more stuff, my list would be longer than a CVS receipt. And no one wants THAT. 




------------<~~>------------

I hope you liked this article and learned something from it. 
I go for a job well done..., I'm not making money as a writer! 😁
If you think I did a good job, please like, comment, and share.
 

Thanks for reading, and "Tight Lines!"

David Hutton 

If you have questions, gripes, or suggestions, contact me via email ...dahutist@gmail.com

If you appreciate a no-drama, no-hype Facebook group, follow this link and come join us at: Palmetto Fly N Fish

All rights reserved, David  Hutton© 2023 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated